Wednesday, January 8, 2014

A Father's Love

On New Years Day, in the morning, my Father stopped by for coffee. I think he
enjoys our Keurig as much as we do. I'm loving that he just shows up and asks for a cup! Since I had Eli, my Father has changed. His entire life was about work and how much he could accomplish in a day. But, as he's gotten older and has slowed down a bit I sense a shift. He's seeing what's important...less doing, more being. Have you ever read the book, "The Five Love Languages?" Amazing, spot on material. My Father loves us through acts of service. He would (and does often) drop whatever he's doing to help us. Never complains or makes you feel bad...just does what needs to be done in his quiet way. My love language is words of affirmation. It makes sense why I had issues with my Father's love as I was growing up. He was loving me through helping me and all I desired were his words...I'm so glad to be an adult now and having read this particular book, resolved all that "junk" and expectation of how I thought he should have been. He was always loving me, the way he knew how. He doesn't often tell me, but when he does its certainly is not taken for granted. New Year's Day we had Rob's Uncle Tom's wedding, so when my Father came by that morning I was dressed nicely...hair and makeup done. He told me that I looked pretty! What?! I'm pretty sure I waited my whole life to hear something from him. It was totally unexpected and just really, really nice to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment